Opinions on SMF

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Mon Sep 9 23:36:39 PDT 2013

On 9/10/2013 07:39, james wrote:
> On 09/09/2013 23:21, John Marino wrote:
>> 5) XML is parsed faster than YAML or JSON. It's superior that way.
>> Maybe we are talking milliseconds here but...
>
> Since when was XML parsed faster than JSON?
>
> Compliant XML parsing has a whole lot of complexity that JSON does not have.

Here's an article where at least somebody tried to compare them
objectively:
http://www.spiration.co.uk/post/1390/Comparing-YAML-vs-XML---a-performance-perspective

Here's another one comparing XML, JSON and YAML against each other:
http://codersbuffet.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/json-vs-xml-and-python-parsing.html

It shows differing results showing (JSON < YAML <<<< XML)

But neither test is particularly useful, one was glued with PHP, the
other Python, and we don't see examples or sizes of the data files.

I shouldn't have brought it up.  Regardless of which why the performance
difference swings, it's not a deciding factor.

John