squid3 smp problem

Venkatesh Srinivas me at endeavour.zapto.org
Fri Oct 25 07:22:58 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:59 AM, k simon <chio1990 at gmail.com> wrote:
>     I adjust the squid configuration, now it report:
>
>    “FATAL: Ipc::Mem::Segment::create failed to shm_open(/squid-squid-page-pool.shm): (13) Permission denied”
>
>    Does anyone could give me some clue to workaroud it ?
>

> Regards
> Simon

squid's Ipc::Mem::Segment::create() uses shm_open to create a POSIX
shared memory segment; on DragonFly, SHM segments are just files which
live in the specified path. ('/squid-squid-page-pool.shm' in this
case); your squid daemon's user likely does not have permission to use
that file.

On some other platforms (Linux), shm segments appear as files also,
but in a subtree of the namespace instead -- often /dev/shm. So your
squid shm segment would be /dev/shm/squid-squid-page-pool.shm, in what
is usually a tmpfs filesystem.

Some workarounds -- patch squid to create its shm file in /tmp/<...>
or some other common path; or if the shm segment is opened w/o O_EXCL
and you don't mind a file in /, create it manually and set permissions
so squid can read/write it.

HTH,
-- vs;