Connecting to 3G USB Modem on DragonFlyBSD?

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Wed Oct 23 22:31:43 PDT 2013

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 06:49:37 +0200, Rama <octo.nebula at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I booted DragonflyBSD (the latest IA32 usb bootable image), but I'm
> having trouble connecting to the world wide web.
>
> I have a ZTE Corporation K3800 3G USB Modem which I use on linux for
> internet. I'm not sure what to do to connect to this modem?
>
> I'm not sure which thing on /dev is the modem device? When I run
> "dmesg | grep ZTE" I get about 4-5 lines, which say something like:
> "pass9: ZTE MMC Storage Technology.... 40.00 Mb/s" e
> "cd8: ZTE MMC Storage Technology.... 40.00 Mb/s"
> "sg8: ZTE MMC Storage Technology.... 40.00 Mb/s"
> "da8: ZTE MMC Storage Technology 40.00 Mb/s".
>
> That's not the exact output, I just wrote what I can recall right now.
> So, I have no idea which is which to be honest.

This is just mass storage which comes with the adapter and I guess it
holds Windows drivers/software for installation.

> [...]
>
> I'm guessing something similar should work on DragonFlyBSD? I added
> ucom_load=yes to loader.conf but that didn't seem to help. I couldn't
> find u3g on DF? Any ideas if u3g exists on DragonFly?

A u3g driver is part of the new (non-default) usb4bsd stack but like all
of the new serial drivers it needs the ucom module and that hasn't been
ported yet, unfortunately. So right now we don't have support. If you'd
like to take a look at it, the source is in
/usr/src/sys/bus/u4b/serial/usb_serial.c. The rest of the serial drivers
(including u3g) compiles and usb_serial.c is the only remaining file that
has not been ported.

Sorry to have no better news for you.

Sascha