pkgsrc frozen, next release will officially be dports only

Max Herrgard herrgard at
Fri Oct 11 05:49:01 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Matthew Dillon <dillon at
> wrote:

>     Our copy of the pkgsrc repo is now frozen.  Well, actually it kinda
>     froze itself, I've given up trying to keep it in sync after spending
>     many man-hours wrestling with mis-syncs.  In anycase, we're not
>     updating it any more nor are we doing pkgsrc bulk builds any more.

For those still on pkgsrc:

The easiest way to get the pkgsrc tree these days is to download a snapshot
tar ball from or and unpack as
/usr/pkgsrc. Stable refers to the latest quarterly release, at the moment

The recommended way is to use CVS though. 'cd /usr && cvs -q -z2 -d
anoncvs at checkout -P pkgsrc' should give you an
initial tree and 'cd /usr/pkgsrc && cvs update -dP' should then give you
the latest changes.

If you still prefer git there is a mirror at,

Before you change to a new way of keeping your pkgsrc tree in sync, by
removing /usr/pkgsrc, make sure you don't have any packages in
/usr/pkgsrc/packages you wish to keep.