"mini roadmap" for userland for 3.7-dev branch

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Thu Nov 21 05:16:34 PST 2013

On 11/21/2013 14:05, Antonio Huete Jimenez wrote:
> John,
>
> I think what you are referring to is a Release To-Do list instead of a
> Roadmap. For me a roadmap is a different thing.

Correct.  I stated in the first mail that there was no roadmap and
probably wouldn't be one, so in its place I came up with a mini version
that is effectively a release to-do (or wish) list.

> Another thing I forgot to mention that I don't like about the
> "Roadmap" is that it could be used as a excuse to block a release.
> Probably more things can come up to mind, we'll see.

Maybe, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.  Right now
we're basically on time-based releases.  Chances are anything that
didn't make a release would get pushed to next release (like the library
versioning) but it stays on the map.  If we get to the point of blocking
a release for a missing feature, it will have to be justified.

> Seriously, this is (or intentds to) be just constructive criticism to
> your "Roadmap" idea. I'm just stating my opinion based on my
> observations, and that is that a list of "desired items" wins versus a
> detailed set of points which are probably interdependent for a project
> like ours.

Fair enough, but I detect that interest in DragonFly waned when it was
stated some original goals were no longer valid or of prime concern and
the new goals were never published.  So I continue to believe that the
lack of goals with realistic date targets hurts the project from the
point of interest and mind share.  It's also not my place to create such
a roadmap/list myself.

John