openldap authentication on DragonFly BSD

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 18:30:36 PST 2013

I was wondering if somebody could point me to documentation explaining
how to configure DragonFly BSD to authenticate its users vis LDAP
server. I will briefly describe LDAP requirement.

I have OpenBSD based domain controller running DHCP server, Unbound (DNS
caching server) and LDAP daemon (OpenBSD LDAP server not OpenLDAP). I
would like to use DragonFly BSD as a file server for obvious reasons. It
will host my users' home folders which will be exported via NFS to
users' desktops. I would like to be able to add new user into
directory-server database via ldapadd, then create new user home folder,
change permission on it and be done.

I hate to say it but that is fairly trivial to do on RedHat Linux even
for a n00b like me and very hard to accomplish let say on OpenBSD file
server (due to the lack of PAM and nsswitch I would need ypldap daemon
and login_ldap).

It looks like an alternative approach would be to create not just home
folders but also local user account, group for each of new user I add
into directory-server database.

Am I missing something obvious.

Most Kind Regards,
Predrag

P.S. I was following thread ""mini roadmap" for userland for 3.7-dev
branch" with a great interest. What happen with the original goal of
DragonFly to provide native clustering support in the kernel? Is that
already accomplished? Could you point me to documentation. I would like
to mention that from my vintage point besides HAMMER native driver for
TrueCrypt is a very useful thing  as well as native mail server.