"mini roadmap" for userland for 3.7-dev branch

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Thu Nov 21 14:18:32 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 02:16:34PM +0100, John Marino wrote:

> Fair enough, but I detect that interest in DragonFly waned when it was
> stated some original goals were no longer valid or of prime concern and
> the new goals were never published.  So I continue to believe that the
> lack of goals with realistic date targets hurts the project from the
> point of interest and mind share.

Besides the lack of direction, I also believe DragonFly is suffering from a
lack of polish in a few key areas.
Some wonderful technologies such as Hammer can't unfortunately be used in
places they would shine in due to various shortcomings.

What I would like to see first:
- Dynamically linked binaries in the root filesystem so that we can use
  NSS/LDAP and PAM technologies like on Linux and FreeBSD.
  This can be done right now.
- pam_mount integration
- Kerberos integration

Without these technologies, DragonFly can't be used in an Enterprise
environment.

Other things which should be done:
- Stabilize the drm/radeon kernel code so that it can be used by default
  with newer Xorg drivers
- Add a -x flag to iostat (à la Solaris)

--
Francois Tigeot