"mini roadmap" for userland for 3.7-dev branch

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Thu Nov 21 12:19:02 PST 2013

On 11/21/2013 21:08, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st
> <mailto:dragonflybsd at marino.st>> wrote:
>

>     I would not classify much of this work as maintenance.
>
>     The semaphores is pthreads work -- nobody has touched threads in years
>     from what I can see.  Not trivial.
>

> "Maintenance" does not mean easy.  "Maintenance" means we're not
> introducing anything new.  This list is all, or nearly all, things
> already present in FreeBSD.
>
> I'd like to have projects in DragonFly that are unique to DragonFly.  We
> have a more flexible group of developers and a more straightforward code
> base to deal with; this has already paid off for SMP development and
> Matt's Hammer work.  We've got the space to accommodate new work.

Actually, very few people with commit access are actually producing
these days.  It doesn't matter how talented the group is if they aren't
applying their talents.

Right now, "maintenance", is about the best we can hope for unless we
either get new blood or "vets" start producing something substantial.
And new blood has to start somewhere, so ...

I'm the first to cheer on "DragonFly Firsts" but I just don't know who
is going to spearhead them right now.

John