File Server Recommendation

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 21:30:18 PST 2013

My small LAB is looking to acquire two file servers in the very near
future. I am not much of a storage guy so I am soliciting opinion from
this community as the new file servers are likely to be running
DragonFly BSD for obvious reason (Hammer).

One file server should be about 20TB and used by a group of about 20-30
users. Another should be about 10-12 TB with no more than 10 users.
Following earlier advises I am thinking of setting up hardware RAID
based on one of LSI devices. We are in data mining business so moving
large amounts of data in particular via NFS is must for us.

Are there any strong opinions? I was browsing little bit Newegg and I
see bunch of inexpensive Synology and Buffalo network storage systems. I
have mostly experience with Supermicro. Is there a significant
difference in the quality between those manufacturers?

Most Kind Regards,
Predrag