DragonFly and WiFi

M M micman09 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 22:58:30 PST 2013

Hello!

I have had a complicated history with DFLY. I have tried it this winter
for the first time and i have had a problem with my video card
(http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.dragonfly-bsd.user/727). After that
I have installed the development branch I have had a problem brought
about the boot loader: the ntldr file of Windows 8, my first OS, has
missed and I was unable to boot it. After this I have understood that
bootblock is not necessary: you can boot DFLY by EasyBCD, very simple,
practical and sure for undeveloped people like me that use Windows.
But it was nothing in comparison with the next accident. I have used
pkgng to install Xorg: very good, fast, efficient, but it has required
so much resources that my computer has crashed. This has damaged the HD.
I have tried to rescue the most important data, but I wasn't able to
save all of them, and I was obliged to buy a new HD. Surely I would be
get rid of DFLY forever if it would have been the only or the principal
cause of the disaster. The principal cause was my fan: I had "forgotten"
to clean it after two years of intensive work and the machine warmed up
too much.

OK. Now the new problem. I have installed DFLY 3.4 (x86_64 GUI iso) in
my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L555.11L) in a 60 GB partition. The
installation went well, although slow (more than an hour). Now I can try
to use the OS. It has progressed a lot from this winter, it is fast and
I can tell also stable, but I haven't an ADSL or a cable connection,
only a WiFi. My card is a Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E
NIC. It was recognized in this manner at the  boot (from dmesg):
"rlphy0: <RTL8201L 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto"
My WiFi device is a usb/hotspot Huawei Mobile WiFi E5776s-32. It has
been recognized generically:
"ucom0: <HUAWEI Technology HUAWEI Mobile, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.02, addr
5> on
uhub3 ucom1: <HUAWEI Technology HUAWEI Mobile, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.02,
addr 5> on uhub3
da9: <HUAWEI TF CARD Storage 2.31> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da9: 40.000MB/s transfers da9: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT
READY, Medium not present".

I think that I have two possibilities to use this device: like a usb
(ugensa?) and simply like a hotspot. To use like a hotspot I need to
configure a WiFi connection. I have found some documentation and I have
read it, but there isn't a good manual: not a specific manual for one
device or an other, but a general guide about how to setup a WiFi
connection under DFLY. The most and only clear - for a newbie or
"normal" user - howto that I found
(http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/unknown/WifiAndWPA) is outdated! I
have added some lines to the files loader.conf, rc.conf,
wpa_supplicant.conf in a disordered manner, following the instructions
of the FreeBSD handbook
(http://docs.freebsd.org/doc/9.0-RELEASE/usr/share/doc/freebsd/handbook/network-wireless.html),
the GhostBSD faq
(http://wiki.ghostbsd.org/index.php?title=FAQ#Why_my_WiFi_don.27t_work.3F)
and reading some other text specific to DFLY (for example,
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToSetUpIpw2200/). Nothing to
do! Surely I have forgotten something and I have made some mistake.
Result: I am unable to connect my laptop to Internet to install packages
and updates, to go beyond FVWM - very poor compared to Mate, XFCE or KDE
- and to begin to use DFLY properly. Some advice?

Micman

  * English - detected
  * English
  * Italian