"mini roadmap" for userland for 3.7-dev branch

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Nov 21 18:30:59 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

> Right now, "maintenance", is about the best we can hope for unless we
> either get new blood or "vets" start producing something substantial.
> And new blood has to start somewhere, so ...

Honestly, the project now is as busy as it's ever been.  There's less list
traffic, but that's because IRC has been very active.

> I'm the first to cheer on "DragonFly Firsts" but I just don't know who
> is going to spearhead them right now.

I don't know... maybe suggesting ideas in a publicly posted list, or

Anyway, I had better supply crazy ideas if I'm going to ask for them: (note
that these are not focused around just code)

- I'd like to see some management utilities around Hammer.  When people
talk about liking ZFS, they are often referring to the DWIMmy tools for
using it; Hammer has a lot of features that could be shown that way.  A bit
harder with Hammer 2 on the way, but not a bad goal.

- DragonNAS.

- Freshports adapted to dports.

- mdocml used to replace our online man pages.

- A DragonFly image with preinstalled packages - similar to the GUI image,
but set up with monitoring and server utilities instead.

There probably could be crazier, but they are useful.