Fwd: Resize HAMMER filesystem

Sven Gaerner sgaerner at gmx.net
Thu May 2 12:08:21 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 07:34:14PM +0200, Charles Rapenne wrote:
> Let imagine you have dragonfly installed on a 250 Gb disk, and you
> want to move it to a 500 Gb disk without reinstalling, how could you
> dump your existing disk and grow the HAMMER partition ?

Please have a look at the man page. You can achieve this via "hammer mirror-copy".
This also ensures that all the stored history is copied.

You would like to run something like this:

 $ newfs_hammer -L DATA2 /dev/serno/ABCDEF
 $ mount /dev/serno/ABCDEF /mnt
 $ mkdir /mnt/pfs
 $ hammer mirror-copy /pfs/source /mnt/pfs/master

When the copy operation has been finished, you have to upgrade the destination
PFS to be a master PFS, otherwise you cannot read-write mount the filesystem.

You will be asked to create the destination PFS. Then everything will be copied.
You can also interrupt and continue at a later time. The source can also be used
during the copy operation.

> I need this to install the system from a virtual machine to a remote
> host, using DD (Already did it for OpenBSD and NetBSD and I would like
> to do it with DragonFly so at least, we could install DragonFly on
> dedicated servers).

For this use case dd look sufficient unless you can start a DragonFly live system.
Then I would prefer the previous method.

Sven