X server will not shutdown

Gavin Reade greadey at gmail.com
Tue May 28 17:03:18 PDT 2013

Hi All,

Finally got X working on 3.4, it was a bit of a pain (mainly because I did
not know what to do straight away). i started using dports straight away,
and did xorg -configure and used that config but x would not start.  My
card is a Radeon RV280.  Did some reading and found I needed drm in the
kernel, which wasn't there by default.  Anyway after installing drm in the
kernel startx worked and I got the minimal X working. So I have two
questions, with no drm in the kernel, dmesg reports my card as a generic
vga, after installing drm at boot time via loader.conf, the card is still
not detected.  Can anyone tell me why or am I missing something obvious??
 Also when I exit X via the window manager, all the window decoration
disappears but X won't shutdown and exit cleanly.  Why might this be?  Are
the two things interconnected?

cheers,

greadey