Disklabel: label magic number or checksum is wrong!

william opensource4you william.os4y at gmail.com
Thu May 9 02:41:52 PDT 2013

Hello,

Here a strange output coming from Disklabel.
On openbsd and fedora it works, but not on DF ??!!

I've even clean totally the disk, but the results are the same:
In fedora:
- dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc
- fdisk to create 1 primary partition
- mkdosfs -F32 /dev/sdc1

Does this is linked to the linux's fdisk ?

I think the USB stick is not corrupt because it works wih other OS. But
maybe DF is more rigorous ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

On DFBsd-3.4.1:
-------------------------
dfly# uname -a
DragonFly dfly 3.4-RELEASE DragonFly v3.4.1-RELEASE #1: Wed Apr 24 19:18:32
PDT 2013     root at pkgbox32.dragonflybsd.org:/usr/obj/build/home/justin/src/sys/GENERIC
 i386

dfly# disklabel32 /dev/da8s1
disklabel32: ioctl DIOCGDINFO32: label magic number or checksum is wrong!
(disklabel or kernel is out of date?)
dfly# disklabel64 /dev/da8s1
disklabel64: ioctl DIOCGDINFO64: label magic number or checksum is wrong!
(disklabel or kernel is out of date?)

On OpenBSD-5.3 (i386):
------------------------------------
# disklabel sd0

# /dev/rsd0c:
type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: USB DISK 2.0
duid: 0000000000000000
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 475
total sectors: 7634944
boundstart: 0
boundend: 7634944
drivedata: 0

16 partitions:
#                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
  c:          7634944                0  unused
  i:          7632896             2048   MSDOS