Package download statistics

Petr Janda elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Mon May 6 05:52:17 PDT 2013

> Now, the _very_ interesting (and unexpected) part is the less than 2% pkgsrc
> packages usage.
> Maybe it's just that pkgng is so much better, maybe it's that pkgsrc users
> prefer to build software from source. Difficult to know.
>
> In any case, I don't see a reason to continue building pkgsrc packages with
> these numbers.

I wonder if this means clang should be included in base instead of GCC
4.4. Since Ports are a FreeBSD thing, and they have switched to clang,
more and more ports are going to build with it.

Maybe it would be an interesting project to find out if GCC 4.7 builds
more ports than clang or vice versa.

--
Please use PGP to encrypt your email to ensure our privacy is respected.