Package download statistics

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Mon May 6 08:27:47 PDT 2013

On Monday, May 06, 2013 14:13:59 Francois Tigeot wrote:
> Now, the _very_ interesting (and unexpected) part is the less than 2% pkgsrc
> packages usage.
> Maybe it's just that pkgng is so much better, maybe it's that pkgsrc users
> prefer to build software from source. Difficult to know.
>
> In any case, I don't see a reason to continue building pkgsrc packages with
> these numbers.

In my case, it's not that I *prefer* building from source, but that for at
least one quarter, there were no binary packages available, at least for 32-
bit. pkg_rolling-replace takes over a week, and I have to restart it when it
conks out on a package, often because of the Python version. I'd much rather
use pkgin.

Pierre
--
Jews use a lunisolar calendar; Muslims use a solely lunar calendar.