Tunnel setup: what happens when my IPv4 address changes?

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.com
Tue Jun 18 20:56:24 PDT 2013

On 6/10/13 10:54 PM, Pierre Abbat wrote:
 > How do I write this line so that it works even if I get a
 > different address?

You might want to use the /etc/start_if.ifname and
/etc/stop_if.ifname mechanism instead of the
defaults provided by rc.conf (see also /etc/network.subr),
or possibly look at customizing your 'dhclient-script'
to do the configuration for you when you receive new dhcp leases.

a pain, yes. but also highly customizable.

For pf - you should be able to use address aliases (not sure
if term correct) I don't have the syntax handy but basically
this allows you to use the interface name in a rule instead
of an address - IIRC something like

ext_if="tun0"

block in on $(ext_if) from ... to $(ext_if)

or something like this

I've only used this on openbsd, but I think it is ported over..

if someone wants to chime in to confirm, swell

Cheers,

- Chris

p.s: sent from after 10 pm please excuse my sleepyness :D