polling opinions: how much QT3/KDE3.5 to preserve in dports this July?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 11:19:05 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Francois Tigeot <ftigeot at wolfpond.org>wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 03:21:54PM +0200, John Marino wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > There's a decision to be made though.  At the beginning of the year,
> > FreeBSD made the decision to purge all ports depending on QT3 including
> > (and especially) KDE3.5 which runs pretty well on DragonFly.  They go
> > EOL on 1 July, which means they'll probably be purged that month.  This
> > is not a particularly popular decision with FreeBSD users and there has
> > been push-back, but I think this purging will occur as planned.
> >
> > We've got three options:
> > 1) Follow suit and purge all these QT3 and KDE 3.5 ports.  This is a lot
> > of ports.
> > 2) "Lock in" the core KDE 3.5 ports (everything pulled in by KDE3.5 meta
> > package) but let the other ports go.
> > 3) "Lock in" everything (don't purge any QT3 or KDE 3.5 ports).
>
> Another data point against purging kde3:
>
> Okular, the kpdf replacement is unable to properly handle printing:
> - it doesn't respect cups options and resets every printer options to its
>   own values every time it's run
> - it doesn't respect options changed by the user, again resetting all
>   printer options to its own values
> - it is not even able to use the correct paper input tray. All envelopes I
>   tried to print ended up on A4 paper for example.

Maybe you're b0rked things on your systems?

Been using Okular via KDE4 since 4.2 on Debian Linux, Kubuntu, FreeBSD, and
now PC-BSD without any issues printing.  No issues printing to network
printers with proper PS support.  No issues printing to Samsung USB
printers using SPLIX drivers.  No issues printing to shared Windows
printers.  All via CUPS.

Now, that's not saying that there aren't some setups that have issues with
CUPS.  But a single anecdote is not enough to hold onto the past forever.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com