[DPorts] The only packages available are for DragonFly 3.4

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Jul 25 06:42:04 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

> Flip the question.
> What is so important about this update that it has to published
> immediately?  Especially when we were publishing only twice a year
> previously?

Twice a year?  Do you mean DragonFly releases?  I updated pkgsrc
whenever I could - doing it on a timed basis was difficult because of
the packages that would hang and never complete the process for
upload, but it sounds like poudriere can handle that much better than
pbulk.

> Those 50 packages are reverse dependencies, which have exponential
> ramifications  One package can easily prevent 10,000 or more packages
> from building.  It's just the way it is.

I think part of the reason I'm asking this is because I don't know
where the threshold is for build/don't build.  We know the
dependencies and what they need to build; is there an acceptable level
of not-building packages where we can still build newer binaries
automatically for the packages that aren't affected?

If we can update 10,000 packages from a build kicked off through cron
while we figure out while the other 10,000 didn't build, that's
worthwhile.