[DPorts] The only packages available are for DragonFly 3.4

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jul 25 23:34:01 PDT 2013

    We now have DEVELOPMENT (3.5/3.6) dports binary packages on avalon again
    for 64-bit.  32-bit DEVELOPMENT binary packages will be another few days.

    Compat packages should not be needed any more and, in fact, I think
    would be detrimental to clean upgrades.

    We are still discussing release mechanics but the tracking builds
    always use the LATEST path in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf.  Both ABI lines
    in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf should normally be commented out and will
    automatically select 3.4 on release systems and 3.6 on development
    systems.

    The naming scheme is a bit weird but basically consider the current
    development code, which is 3.5, as being a preview of 3.6 as 3.6 gets
    closer.  So for all intents and purposes it covers both 3.5 and the
    next (3.6) release.  That's why the dports ABI for DEVELOPMENT is '3.6'
    and not '3.5'.  It actually works quite well in my view, it just takes
    a little bit to wrap one's head around it.  I want to minimize the number
    of dports builds we have to maintain on avalon.

    --

    I think I have a pretty good handle on the build mechanics now.  Monster
    can do a full 64-bit bulk build from scratch in around 19 hours and

    The rsync upload to avalon can also be done concurrently with the build
    so on a nominal basis we can cycle a complete set of packages for
    64-bit 3.4 or 3.5/3.6 in 24 hours.  To do both sets will thus take
    around 2 days which isn't bad at all.

    pkgbox32 takes considerably longer to do 32-bit builds... I'm guessing
    a few days, assuming I can stabilize the box.  I think it's been
    overheating so I stopped overclocking it and we'll see how that goes.
    We've already fixed the prior KVM exhaustion issues.  pkgbox32 can also
    concurrently upload the packages to avalon.

    pkgbox64 takes a bit longer than monster but not by a whole lot.  It's
    a very fast machine (far faster than monster on a core-by-core basis,
    but with far fewer cores).  I would expect around ~24 hours.

    --

				Blade Server

    We have ordered a 12-blade Haswell microcloud from IX systems.

    Supermicro has told IX that the blades will be ready next week.  It will
    take another week to build it, burn it in, get it to me, and another
    week for me to get the DragonFly infrastructure setup on it before I
    can stuff it into the colo... hopefully if all things go well, we will
    be able to start transfering services in the second week of August.

    Two or three blades will be dedicated to dports bulk builds and snapshot
    builds and such.  Full cycle times for the dports bulk builds will
    most likely be in the 20-24 hour range and if we need to we can build
    both RELEASE and DEVELOPMENT for 64-bit concurrently on separate blades.

    I'm only planning on dedicating one blade for 32-bit operations so the
    full cycle time for dports bulk builds on 32-bit will still be a few
    days.

    All DragonFly services will be moved onto these blades and they will
    be in a pretty well-connected colo so things like developer access to
    leaf.dragonflybsd.org will be a lot faster.