KMS + i915 support now in -master
ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Wed Jul 31 02:41:57 PDT 2013
I'm pleased to announce that DragonFly now has kernel-modesetting
support (KMS) for the Intel i915 graphics chipset family.
This was made possible by porting the new FreeBSD KMS code from last
year and the dedicated work of various individuals. Besides myself,
Aggelos Economopoulos, Johannes Hofmann and Matthew Dillon were involved.
This is only usable with amd64 CPUs for now, some of the features
needed by the Intel GEM memory manager are incompatible with our
existing i386 virtual memory/pmap code.
Accelerated 3D isn't functional either but everything necessary for
regular 2D / desktop work should be fine.
Various i915 chipset generations have been tested up to the Ivy Bridge
family (last year Core i / Xeon CPUs).
To use Xorg with i915/KMS support, some packages need to be installed
manually following the instructions on this page:
Or, to make things short:
* Use DragonFly 3.5/x86_64 as of today
* Put WITH_NEW_XORG=true and WITH_KMS=true in /etc/make.conf
* Remove dri, libdrm, xorg-server and xf86-video-intel packages using pkg
delete -f if necessary
* Reinstall the new versions by going to /usr/dports and typing make install
in the right directories
* Finally put Driver "intel" in the right section of your xorg.conf file
More information about the Users