DragonFlyBSD and KMS

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Jul 19 07:17:13 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 07:34:28PM +0600, Vitaly Shevtsov wrote:

> I know this issue has been raised many times but I wonder if there is any
> progress. OpenBSD team has implemented KMS this year and now they able to
> use xf86-video-intel 2.21.6 in their OS. FreeBSD has KMS support for some
> time too.

Fear not, DragonFly 3.6 will have KMS/i915 support out of the box.

I had started to port the FreeBSD drm2 code to DragonFly last year and
Johannes Hofmann made it work, spending many months deciphering various
crashes and fixing the issues one by one.
Finally, Matt Dillon made it possible for it to be fast by implementing
PAT* support in the kernel.

I have just pushed some of the more important commits yesterday.

The rest is available here:
http://gitweb.zefyris.com/?p=dragonfly.git.not_for_export;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/fbsd_drm4

This branch will be slowly cleaned up and pushed in small chunks to
-master in the coming weeks.

The included README file has some setup instructions:
http://gitweb.zefyris.com/?p=dragonfly.git.not_for_export;a=blob;f=sys/dev/drm2/README;h=c0a9bcc3f22f11ea7d4f99cb39cd04141944ea7f;hb=refs/heads/fbsd_drm4

*PAT: See here for details: http://lwn.net/Articles/278994/

--
Francois Tigeot