Strange problem during 'make clean'

Matt Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Sat Jan 26 07:59:40 PST 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 03:59:59PM -0500, Matt Emmerton wrote:
> > I installed 3.2-RELEASE and then updated to master; to clean everything
up
> > I did a 'make clean' in /usr/src, which failed in sys/boot.

> What are you trying to do?  make clean will clean out your /usr/src.
> If you want to wipe out your obj dir, just remove /usr/obj/ (which
> isn't really necessary since buildworld does the appropriate cleaning).

I did this because 'make buildworld' was failing with similar spurious
errors, I figured a 'make clean' wouldn't hurt at this point.  This seemed
to be the easier problem to attack first.

> > I've poked through the makefiles and bsd.subdir.mk and I can't
> > really see why this is happening.  Any ideas?

> Probably because you have an older version of make.

This was happening to me on 3.2-REL and 3.3-DEV so I'm not convinced that
it's entirely caused by having an outdated make.
Regardless, I just updated to the latest master and everything seems to be
fine now.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

--
Matt Emmerton