An introduction to DPorts

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Jan 3 19:44:44 PST 2013

I'm thinking about pkgsrc bulk builds in comparison, because we already
have pkgsrc building machines and binary download locations that could also
support DPorts.

If I read your example right, there wouldn't be a DragonFly 3.4 (Latest) -
once 3.6 is out, 3.4 wouldn't be getting updates.  That's two less versions
to build for, at least.

Did you want to have this as part of the 3.4 release?  That would require
the DPorts equivalents of the pkgsrc packages in src/nrelease to all build.
 We'd also have to create DPorts versions of the packages that make up the
installer, and have a final location for package storage for people to use
pkg and install binaries.

None of this is necessarily news; I'm just thinking out loud of what this
potentially entails for release.