X doesn't run

M M micman09 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:30:56 PST 2013

Machine: Laptop Toshiba Satellite L555.11L
Graphics card: ATI Mobility radeon HD 5165
Release: dfly-x86_64-gui-3.2.2_REL.iso

Hi!
I have already sent this post to the bugs list, but the bugs list
doesn't want this. Perhaps the good list for my "problem" is the users list…
I have downloaded the .iso file (MD5 test is good) to try the Live DVD.
It was good until the prompt: "dfly-live #". When I'd tried to launch X
(startx) at the end of the startup process I'd received this error message:
[EE] Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
[1] 780
[2] 781
xscreensaver: Command not found
[3] 782
[1] Exit1 (limit core0: xscreensaver)
Agent pid 785
/usr/pkg/bin/fvwm2: Command not found
/usr/pkg/bin/xinit: connexion to X server lost
waiting for X server shutdown
Xauth: (argv) : 1 : bad display name "dfly-live : 0" in "remove" command
dfly-live#

I'd tried to reconfigure X:
dfly-live# Xorg -configure > xorg.conf.new
and after to test it:
dfly-live# Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new
Black screen!
There are some other posts around Internet about more or less the same
error message (for example:
http://readlist.com/lists/lists.dragonflybsd.org/users/2/11811.html),
not necessarily for the ATI cards, but I don't find the explication and
the solution, if there is a solution at this time. Can someone explain
me what is the problem and if is there a solution other than to buy a
BSD "compatible" hardware?
Thank you in advance.

PS One of the reasons which pushed me to try DragonFly BSD was the
difficult to find a BSD OS that runs X on my machine. I have read in
someplace that the BSD OSs have problems with the graphics cards ATI
Mobility Radeon HD 5 serie and also with some of the (other) latest ATI
cards. I have tried many of these OSs and the results were:
- NetBSD: X doesn't run;
- FreeBSD: the pointer mouse is frozen;
- PC-BSD: with the live DVD X runs only with a low resolution (800 X
600) and the image at the screen isn't good;
- OpenBSD: for now the same resolution than for PC-BSD, but the result
is better;
- DFly BSD: see above.
Contrariwise with Windows 7 and various Linux distros X runs at a high
resolution (1600 x 900).