HAMMER best practices?

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Jan 10 18:38:13 PST 2013

My immediate thought is that without RAID, a disk failure means that if a
disk fails, you will have to manually take a HAMMER slave PFS and change it
to a master, which should be possible - but will take time.  RAID will
(usually, hopefully) handle a single disk failure without interruption.

The Areca cards are well supported, and I think they've even contributed
hardware for testing.  The arcmsr(4) driver should list what's
supported.  Francois
Tigeot did some testing a while ago:

 http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2011-04/msg00063.html

Outside of that, I'd suggest building two machines.  Since you can stream
to a slave PFS over a network, have a that second machine as a remote
backup with cheap, large disks with a more generous retention policy - that
way if complete catastrophe strikes, your data's safe.