Unison and Hammer History

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:47:42 PST 2013

"peeter (must)" <karu.pruun at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 5:11 AM, Predrag Punosevac
> <punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings all!
> >
> > I am completely new to DragonFly BSD although not to BSDs in general and
> > this is my first post the list so bear with me just a little bit.
> >
> > I am running DragonFly (HAMMER file system of course) on Dell PowerEdge
> > R210 II Ultra-compact Rack Server. Everything works like a charm (let me
> > know if you need a dmesg).  This machine is a new file server for my
> > cloud computing lab. It essentially runs only one service SSH and has
> > only two pieces of additional software installed CVS and Unison. It is
> > supposed to act as a CVS server and a remote storage.
> >
> > I am in the process of playing with HAMMER and writing wiki for my
> > users.
> >
> > I am a bit confused by the interplay of hammer history and Unison so I
> > was wondering if some kind soul could explain me what is going on?
> > Namely when I sync files with Unison from my home desktop the hammer
> > history shows as a date of the file creation the time of the last
> > synchronization. When I change files locally I can clearly see the
> > history and I can pull old versions from the journal. Why can't I see
> > file changes which are propagated with Unison from my desktop in the
> > hammer history?
>

> I guess it depends on whether Unison has changed the given file on the
> server since last pruning, which I think happens every night at about
> 3am?
>
> As a simple test, you can do on the server
>
> > touch someFile
> > echo "1" >> someFile
> // wait for a minute
> > echo "2" >> someFile
> > hammer history someFile
>
> Does it show some history?
>
> Peeter
>
> --

Yes it does!

$ uname -a
DragonFly hammer.ccl.aug.edu 3.2-RELEASE DragonFly v3.2.2-RELEASE #0:
Sun Dec 16 13:26:10 PST 2012 root at pkgbox64.dragonflybsd.org:/usr/obj/build/home/justin/src/sys/X86_64_GENERIC x86_64
$ touch someFile
$ echo "1" >> someFile
$ hammer history someFile
someFile        0000000102afd692 dirty {
    0000000102c79fc0 21-Jan-2013 21:16:17
}
$ echo "2" >> someFile
$ hammer history someFile
someFile        0000000102afd692 dirty {
    0000000102c79fc0 21-Jan-2013 21:16:17
    0000000102c7a000 21-Jan-2013 21:16:48
}

That is why I am so confused. When I change files on the server history
is ok. But when I change files on my own desktop and synchronize with
Unison history shows only the time of the last synchronization not
previous versions.

Thanks for trying to help Peeter. I will try to play with this in the
next couple of days and post any findings.

Cheers,
Predrag