HAMMER best practices?

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Thu Jan 10 23:23:56 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 09:42:34PM -0800, Dave Hayes wrote:
> On 01/10/13 18:38, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>
> > The Areca cards are well supported, and I think they've even contributed
> > hardware for testing.
>
> Interesting idea.
>
> A quick google search turns up a lot of complaints from various people
> that the 1222 cards stop working 18 months after you start using them.
> The rest of those cards (at least the ones listed on the dragonfly
> hardware compatibility page) are either too expensive or too old.

You could use ARC-1213 or -1223 models, they're direct replacements for the
old 1212/1222 series

> You can get 1222's real cheap, but I guess that's the market reflecting
> the unreliability of the card? I'm speculating there, in case it wasn't
> clear. :D

AFAIK they're obsolete and have been replaced by a new generation.
All released Areca models work out of the box.

> As this is not my only 3ware card in production, I'm pretty convinced
> 3ware cards are the way to go. I'm still open to other data, but it's
> hard to beat this experience.

The only problem here is 3Ware is no more, the company has been bought
by LSI.

Some LSI adapters are supported but they have so many models it's hard
to make sense of it.
The mps driver man page reports cards based on these chipsets should work:
  o   LSI Logic SAS2004 (4 Port SAS)
  o   LSI Logic SAS2008 (8 Port SAS)
  o   LSI Logic SAS2108 (8 Port SAS)
  o   LSI Logic SAS2116 (16 Port SAS)
  o   LSI Logic SAS2208 (8 Port SAS)

The mfi(4) driver has a slightly longer list with specific card models:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=mfi&section=4

--
Francois Tigeot