Proposal to modify behavior of installworld

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Tue Feb 12 12:55:57 PST 2013

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 09:46:42 Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     There are going to be serious issues with build/install behaviors.  For
>     example, I often installkernel several times before actually rebooting,
>     and sometimes (though not often) I will installworld several times
>     prior to actually rebooting to test it.
>
>     This is precisely why I have a boot-menu option to boot kernel.bak,
>     which is manually constructed (cpdup /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.bak)
>     and is not touched by the installkernel target (installkernel only
>     backs up to kernel.old).

I have a boot1 partition for the purpose.

>     So I would propose that the world-backup mechanic be a manual target
>     and not an automatic process.  e.g. like:
>
> 	make backupworld
> 	make restoreworld

I think this is a very good idea. I have run into this problem:
1. make and install kernel and world
2. boot the new kernel and find something's wrong with it
3. boot the previous kernel and find the net devices are messed up because the
structure changed between the two kernel versions.

Pierre
--
sei do'anai mi'a djuno puze'e noroi nalselganse srera