sshd responsiveness

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sun Feb 10 10:53:09 PST 2013

Well, it's two different file systems, two different operating systems, and
(I assume) two different machines with different disks and different
network links.  Maybe even two different encryption setups?  I don't know
if the FreeBSD machine is using ZFS or UFS - if it's UFS, it's not
recording history so there's less overall work.  That can make a difference
too. Unfortunately this all adds up to a shoulder shrug, in terms of an
answer.

There's been a lot of discussion about the disk scheduler and how to
position reading vs. writing for Hammer over the past year or two.  If you
really want to dive into it, there's the 'dsched' man page, and the other
pages it links to from there.  Also, there's scheduler-related links on the
Digest:

http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/index.php?s=sched