Reply on advice for pkg, kde, nvidia, and vmware

rll at insightbb.com rll at insightbb.com
Fri Feb 22 13:52:02 PST 2013

Hi Roger,

> I am new to dragonfly bsd. Fear not, I am a unix (and microsoft) admin and
a programmer from the 80's. Nowadays I just do unix batch, perl, and xsl.
You don't need to teach me much.

> I am using vmware player 5. 64bit will not install right. 32bit installs
fine so I am using it right now.
> I have been recreating the pkgsrc tree from scratch.
> I used meta-packages to install gnome with bmake bin-install clean and it
is broken and bad.
> I installed kde3 the same way and it went fine but the web browser
Konquerer segfaults.

> Anyway, what is dports? I noticed that pkg_add and pkg_radd don't ever
find anything.

the pkg_* utilities are for pkgsrc.  dports uses "pkg".

How do I get "pkg" installed? Sorry to be dense on this but its not in
pkgsrc.

>dports is a brand-new alternative to pkgsrc.
>You only "need" one or the other, but you can't use both together.

Do I need to do a rm -rf pkgsrc and get rid of pkgsrc?

> I am trying to build a home user desktop for myself.

both systems have kde 3.5.
dports has a more modern xfce4 (4.10) vs pkgsrc (4.6)
pkgsrc kde 4.8 may work better than dports kde 4.9 (still in testing)
pkgsrc probably has more total window managers that work for dragonfly ATM.

Kde is fine but I don't want any of these phone - fischer price looking -
toy interfaces like Unity (gnome).
Isn't kde4 a phone app interface? If I wanted Window 8 I'd go get a
psychiatric evaluation first or just go blow my brains out.

> A torrent link to a ready to go vmware image would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think that exists.

> If I must I will install on real hardware to get this running.
> I own an msi gt660 gaming laptop with i7, usb 3.0, and nvidia gtx 285m,
6gb ram, 256gb ssd boot drive, 1tb data drive.

The nvidia is likely a problem -- you probably can only get a vesa
driver working for it.  Apparently it's possible to use freebsd nvidia
driver with a wrapper, but this needs to be investigated with current
nvidia blobs.  Personally I am also interested in this.

Too bad about nvidia. I thought dragonfly bragged about have good drivers
for nvidia.

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 21:15:35 -0500
From: Pierre Abbat <phma at bezitopo.org>
To: users at dragonflybsd.org
Subject: Re: help with finding precompiled binaries for 32/64bit and
  vmware player.

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 17:22:55 Roger Lawhorn wrote:

I have kde4 up, including Konqueror. I ran pkg_rolling-replace to upgrade
from
previous versions of the packages, which took a few weeks and restarts, then
installed kde4, which went pretty smoothly (Qt was upgraded by rolling-
replace). If you run "bmake install" in the kde4 directory on a fresh
install
with no packages, it should install the whole thing smoothly.

Pierre
--
Don't buy a French car in Holland. It may be a citroen.

Thanks for the advice.

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:14:48 +0100
From: "Sascha Wildner" <saw at online.de>
To: users at dragonflybsd.org
  vmware player.
  delsp=yes

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 23:22:55 +0100, Roger Lawhorn <rll at insightbb.com>
wrote:

> I am using vmware player 5. 64bit will not install right.

What issues were there?

Sascha

I experienced an incomplete install.
I have switched to bare metal and the install went well.
I had to burn the DVD 3 times before I got a good one.
Vmware complained a lot of not supporting freebsd and escpecially not
supporting 64bit.
I will stay with bare metal install for now.