Beginners questions

Cassandra von Ahrcanburg proudmouse at tlink.de
Fri Dec 6 08:01:18 PST 2013

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 00:10:14 +0100
John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

>> I've been told that the nVidia binary driver is quite functional and
>> well updated. AMD Radeons have open source driver in the making, but
>> the current boards (Rx 200) do not work at all - under FreeBSD at
>> least.
>
> It was a typo.
> It should have say, "nVidia is not a good choice for DragonFly".
> I figured that the typo was obvious in context so I didn't follow up
> when I saw it.  There is no nVidia driver for DragonFly at all.

The reason I did not see it as that obvious was because there are
plenty of people who consider a binary driver from the hardware vendor
as anywhere from bad to unacceptable. I can understand this because my
graphics support was blown to bits once by an update where AMD decided
stop supporting my (to old) graphics board.

I thought you were opting for open source only because you too have had
experience with this kind of thing.

Regards,
Cassi