newbie question

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sun Dec 8 01:52:13 PST 2013

On 12/8/2013 10:38, Roby Sadeli wrote:
> Hi DragonFlyBSD users,
>
> I am a DFBSD newbie, I am trying the new dports but I stumble into a
> problem, whenever I try to "make config" a package, say nginx, I always
> get strange characters instead of the dialog box.
> To make things clear:
>> cd /usr/dports/www/ngiinx
>> sudo make config
>
> I attach my output:
> http://imgur.com/9415rdM,TjMsUKC
>
> If I am inside a tmux session, the dialog box appears, but the
> characters are missing.
> I attach my output: http://imgur.com/9415rdM,TjMsUKC#1
>
> It should be trivial, but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Dialog is ncurses based.  The strange characters you are seeing on the
first one are ansi color codes.  I can't even guess what's going on in
the second on.

It's probably affected by terminal settings.  (and/or shell?)
Try changing the terminal to something else?  It's not clear if you are
SSH'ing in or using the console from your description.  Normally it
works out-of-the-box on default console settings.

John