Opinions on SMF

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Mon Aug 26 09:18:45 PDT 2013

On 8/26/2013 17:49, Luca Ferrari wrote:

> If I remember right, SMF not only does a controlled startup of a
> service, but also a controlled shutdown, that is something that seems
> to me lacks in rc. In other words, once the network is going down,
> also all daemons that rely on the network are, and stuff like that.
> But I could be wrong.

It also can perform recovery when a daemon goes down and it has a
detailed map of all the dependencies the service needs.  I find it
interesting that someone with experience with both finds them basically
equivalent.

Why would Sun Microsystems invest so much to replace a system with an
equivalent one?  That is not logical to me.

John