Why VMware Virtual disk so slow (da0: 3.300MB/s transfers) ?

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Thu Aug 22 02:04:24 PDT 2013

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:55:12 +0200, Dongsheng Song
<dongsheng.song at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I running DragonFlyBSD under VMware ESXi 5.1, with the following
> setting:
>
> CPUs: 8
> Memory: 4096 MB
> SCSI controller: LSI Logic Paraller
> SCSI disk size: 64G
>
> I found this VM is very very slowly, then I check the dmesg output,
> I'm very surprised:
>
> da0: 3.300MB/s transfers

As a datapoint: I tried this morning in latest VMware Player (Windows 8
host). While I am seeing the same weird transfer rate in dmesg (da0:
3.300MB/s transfers), the disk's speed looked OK to me, using the dd test
you did (speeds were around 80MB/s).

Sascha