Opinions on SMF

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Tue Aug 27 06:28:07 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

>>> That's one of the things I hated on SMF!
>>> But I guess the configuration can be easily translated from XML to
>>> text and vice-versa.
>>
>> C'mon, XML isn't that bad :)
>
> No, it isn't.  I don't know where all this anti-XML sentiment came from,
> but it's certainly fashionable lately.

In my opinion it is!
Or better, XML is a great (unfinished) language, but it forces you to
have parsers and dom trees around in case you need to automate
document handling. And this is not the way a Unix admin is used to do,
at least in my opinion: cat, grep, sed and alike are not very suited
at handling xml in a comfortable way (not saying they cannot cope with
xml).

Luca