Disk corruption

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Mon Apr 29 19:13:45 PDT 2013

I think I've figured out what happened. I'll have to replace one of the disks.

ad0 is an IDE drive with a 60 GB disk; 53 GB is the root Hammer volume
(including /var, /tmp, /usr, and /home), and the rest is /boot, swap, and an
unused partition which used to be /crypt. 38 GB of the root volume is in use.

ad4 is a SATA drive with a 466 GB disk; 432 GB is the /crypt Hammer volume
(including /crypt, /olv, /backup, and /usr/obj), and the rest is /boot1, swap,
and an unused partition which I reserved for experiments. 48 GB of the /crypt
volume is in use.

The missing inode errors appear in /var/spool/postfix. The new postfix binary
was dated April 26, so I tested the hypothesis that a bug in Postfix was
causing it by reverting to the previous version and rebooting the old kernel.
I still got errors. Once the computer crashed with a missing inode error, but
I couldn't find the file with the missing inode. I conclude that that part of
the disk is worn out.

The unused partition is about 30 GB, so it won't fit the used part of root, so
I'll have to recover root to /crypt. I'll also need to make ad4 bootable. I
should be able to put a skeleton root on the unused partition, leaving out
/usr/src and /usr/pkgsrc.

Thanks to all who helped me on IRC. Could you give me some tips on replacing
the disk, so that I don't mess up?

Pierre
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du