how to boot & startx without internet connection?

Ivan Uemlianin ivan at llaisdy.com
Fri Apr 19 00:36:54 PDT 2013

Dear  All

Thanks for your help.

In /etc/rc.conf, I found the line

   hostname="dfly.llaisdy.com"

A setting I'd given it on a whim during the installation.  I changed that to

   hostname="localhost"

to tally with the settings in /etc/hosts.

Now startx works as normal when not connected to the internet.  Boot
still pauses at "Starting sshd", but not for so long.

On 12/04/2013 12:50, Luca Ferrari wrote:
 > It should be a dns problem, or better, when disconnected your machin
 > is trying to solve its own name without success. It should suffice to
 > place an entry in the /etc/hosts file with your machine name, like for
 > example:
 >
 > 192.168.0.1 mymachine

I tried this:

   192.168.0.1 localhost

but it seemed to have no effect.

So, thanks for your help.  I think it's workable now.

Best wishes

Ivan

On 12/04/2013 12:52, Charles Rapenne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does dfly.llaisdy.com point to 127.0.0.1 in your /etc/hosts ?
> Usually it is recommended to put the machine name to 127.0.0.1 in the
> hosts file.
>
> Regards
>
> 2013/4/12 Ivan Uemlianin <ivan at llaisdy.com>:
>> Dear All
>>
>> I have recently installed dragonflybsd.  Configs and installations seem to
>> be going well, apart from two strange behaviours, possibly linked. If I'm
>> connected to the internet everything is fine but, if I'm not:
>>
>> (a) during boot, the machine stops at
>>
>>      Starting sshd
>>
>> I leave it for 5 minutes, but no progress.  If I ctrl-c, it finishes the
>> rest of the boot (presumably abandoning start sshd).
>>
>> (b) Starting X without an internet connection is very slow, but does
>> eventually get through.  e.g.:
>>
>>      > startx
>>
>>      xauth: file /home/ivan/.serverauth.812 does not exist
>>      ... wait 2 mins ...
>>
>>      xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "dfly.llaisdy.com.2" in "list" command
>>      ... wait 1 min ...
>>
>>      - into X!
>>
>> Please could someone explain why these things happen, and how I can make the
>> computer easier to use when I don't have an internet connection.
>>
>> With thanks and best wishes
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> --
>> Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
>> Llaisdy
>> Speech Technology Research and Development
>>
>>                      ivan at llaisdy.com
>>                       www.llaisdy.com
>>                           llaisdy.wordpress.com
>>                github.com/llaisdy