how to boot & startx without internet connection?

Ivan Uemlianin ivan at llaisdy.com
Fri Apr 12 04:12:33 PDT 2013

Dear All

I have recently installed dragonflybsd.  Configs and installations seem
to be going well, apart from two strange behaviours, possibly linked.
If I'm connected to the internet everything is fine but, if I'm not:

(a) during boot, the machine stops at

     Starting sshd

I leave it for 5 minutes, but no progress.  If I ctrl-c, it finishes the
rest of the boot (presumably abandoning start sshd).

(b) Starting X without an internet connection is very slow, but does
eventually get through.  e.g.:

     > startx

     xauth: file /home/ivan/.serverauth.812 does not exist
     ... wait 2 mins ...

     xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "dfly.llaisdy.com.2" in "list"
command
     ... wait 1 min ...

     - into X!

Please could someone explain why these things happen, and how I can make
the computer easier to use when I don't have an internet connection.

With thanks and best wishes

Ivan

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy