GCC 4.7.2 : Get it into DragonFly 3.2 or wait for 3.3 branch?

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Mon Sep 24 07:40:26 PDT 2012

I've used my time without internet to work on getting GCC 4.7.1 into
base.  After putting in a few hours each day over several weeks, I've
gotten gcc 4.7.1 with Link-Time-Optimization building cleanly with "make
buildworld".  I still need to buildworld with gcc 4.7 and verify
everything works fine (expected as gcc-aux built-world and kernel works)

I don't know exactly when DragonFly 3.2 will be branched.  The earliest
I can start committing my work is this weekend.

Do we want:

Option 1:
Import GCC 4.7.2 and disable GCC 4.1 prior to the branch.  GCC 4.4 would
remain the primary compiler.  Risk is minimal as GCC 4.1 is not used
anywhere, including pkgsrc.  GCC 4.1 source and makefiles would remain
in place well into DragonFly 3.3 development

Option 2:
Wait until DragonFly 3.2 is branched, import 4.7.2 and remove gcc 4.1
including source.  There would be an intent to make gcc 4.7 the primary
compiler after full pkgsrc and kernel/world testing before DragonFly 3.4

I would have tried to gauge attitudes on IRC but I've been unable to
connect for a while.

John