DragonFly GNOME and KDE4 meta packages

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Mon Oct 22 12:31:06 PDT 2012

On 10/22/2012 21:04, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> Dear All ,
> In
> http://mirror-master.dragonflybsd.org/packages/x86_64/DragonFly-3.1/pkgsrc-2012Q2/All/
> there is a package "kde-3.5.10.tgz" :
> http://mirror-master.dragonflybsd.org/packages/x86_64/DragonFly-3.1/pkgsrc-2012Q2/All/kde-3.5.10.tgz
> It seems that it is a "meta" package .
> As a corresponding package , such a package does NOT exist for GNOME .
> Such a package exists in
> http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/gnome/README.html
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/5.1_2012Q1/All/gnome-2.26.2nb4.tgz
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/5.1_2012Q2/All/gnome-2.26.2nb4.tgz
> Without such a meta package , to install GNOME is difficult : By using
> individual packages ,
> it fetches the same depending packages many times which shows that some
> install tries are redundant but it is
> not known which ones .

> In
> http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/6.0/All/
> there are the following packages which are missing in DragonFly :
> http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/6.0/All/kde4-4.8.4.tgz
> http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/6.0/All/k3b-2.0.2nb6.tgz
> The following points are very important :
> (1) K3b-2.0.*.tgz is important for backup requirements
> (2) kde 4 is able to save the session on shutdown and
>      then restore it on new login
> (3) Auto-mount of removable devices>

A meta package only generates if every single package of the meta
package is built, I believe.  On DragonFly, this is the case for KDE3
and KDE4 (normally), but it is not the case for gnome.  Frankly, I'd
consider other desktops, Gnome is getting harder and harder to support
each passing month.

k3b-2.0 has never built.  Feel free to submit a patch to fix it.  It was
listed in the "top 10 packages to fix" a few months ago.

John