Thoughts on llvm/clang in base

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 13:09:06 PDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Justin Sherrill
<justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> May I ask the Dragonfly developers what their opinion is regarding
>> llvm/clang efforts as exercised by FreeBSD and Bitrig? I'm not
>> suggesting making such a change but just asking for your thoughts.
>
> clang works now as a compiler on DragonFly.  You can add it from
> pkgsrc.  See 'man compilers.conf'
>
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=compilers.conf&section=ANY

That's cool.

There are two errors in the manpage:

The following sentence seems to be missing " with clang":
To build world and kernel, use the following instructions

Is world_clang.diff still required and not integrated into the tree?

The following seems to be missing a comma before "etc"
depending on which rules you follow:
The cpp, cc etc. programs

Shouldn't this "env CCVER=clang make" be "env CCVER=<version> make"?

> If I recall correctly, you can build world and maybe kernel with it.
> You can also use it for pkgsrc.

Sounds good.

> Because John Marino is doing an impressive job bringing in newer
> versions of gcc, and also because we're not terribly worried about the
> existence of the GPL, there's no rush to make it part of the base
> since it's already usable with little effort.

That makes sense.

> There's other people with different opinions on this, but that's a
> fair summation, I think/

Thanks.