Recent MMU, Cached I/O, and Scheduler work now in master

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Wed Oct 10 11:52:55 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 05:07:32PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     In the last month the master branch has gone through some radical
>     changes.  All the work is in but some still experimental and requires
>     a sysctl to turn on.
>
>     The result is an IMMENSE improvement in postgres benchmarks as well as
>     across-the-board improvements in performance under load.  We pretty
>     much outstrip the other BSDs now and we get fairly close (though do
>     not quite beat) the higher-end linux benchmarks.
>
>     In addition, the new scheduler algorithms effect many other system
>     activities, such as source code builds (which make heavy use of pipes),
>     web servers, and even interactive vs batch processing.
>
>     Francois will post updated graphs today or tomorrow showing the immense
>     progress we've made.

And the graphs as promised, in the attached PDF files.

This is a bit later than originally announced; some kernel parameters kept
being tweaked for a long time, preventing me to post soon-to-be-obsolete
numbers.

Pg-benchmarks.2012-10.pdf shows a comparison between DragonFly-3.0 and the
soon to be released 3.2 version.
For kicks there are also a few graphs of Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD on the
second page, showing where we stand.

Pg-benchmarks.2012-10.improvements.pdf can be thought of as an historical
record showing the results of some of the many performance tweaks and new
features recently added to DragonFly, with commit numbers.

Enjoy!

--
Francois Tigeot