Recent MMU, Cached I/O, and Scheduler work now in master

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at
Wed Oct 10 11:52:55 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 05:07:32PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     In the last month the master branch has gone through some radical
>     changes.  All the work is in but some still experimental and requires
>     a sysctl to turn on.
>     The result is an IMMENSE improvement in postgres benchmarks as well as
>     across-the-board improvements in performance under load.  We pretty
>     much outstrip the other BSDs now and we get fairly close (though do
>     not quite beat) the higher-end linux benchmarks.
>     In addition, the new scheduler algorithms effect many other system
>     activities, such as source code builds (which make heavy use of pipes),
>     web servers, and even interactive vs batch processing.
>     Francois will post updated graphs today or tomorrow showing the immense
>     progress we've made.

And the graphs as promised, in the attached PDF files.

This is a bit later than originally announced; some kernel parameters kept
being tweaked for a long time, preventing me to post soon-to-be-obsolete

Pg-benchmarks.2012-10.pdf shows a comparison between DragonFly-3.0 and the
soon to be released 3.2 version.
For kicks there are also a few graphs of Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD on the
second page, showing where we stand.

Pg-benchmarks.2012-10.improvements.pdf can be thought of as an historical
record showing the results of some of the many performance tweaks and new
features recently added to DragonFly, with commit numbers.

Francois Tigeot