Phoronix benchmarks DF 3.2 vs Ubuntu - question

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sun Nov 18 07:47:55 PST 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 6:17 AM,  <elekktretterr at exemail.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just read an article on phoronix. Someone benchmarked DF 3.2 against
> Ubuntu, and while DF is very competitive in all benchmarks, it's not in
> this particular one: Himeno Benchmark(Poisson pressure solver).
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=dragonfly_linux_32&num=3
>
> What could be happening here?

This is a calculation that probably has never been run on DragonFly,
but several large companies (Intel, Dell, etc) got together and
specifically worked to have run well on Linux.

http://www.hpcadvisorycouncil.com/pdf/HIMENO_Analysis_and_Profiling.pdf

The Phoronix benchmarking is useful, but the numbers often don't have
a line drawn to connect them with reality.  I have no idea if this
benchmark actually correlates with any usage scenario possible for
DragonFly at this point.  We could run at 'ludicrous speed', but it
may do anyone any good.

(forgot to reply-all first time)