Amusing discussion of 3.2

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 12:44:22 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Tomas Bodzar <tomas.bodzar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Linux kernel network subsystem and sparc architecture maintainer
>> David Miller started a funny discussion on Google Plus at
>> https://plus.google.com/101384639386588513837/posts/Dkb8iixE4eP
>>
>> The discussion is amusing and also interesting but I have to wonder
>> why not a single person said the obvious that it's not GPL licensed
>> and that's one major reason attracting developers and user to the BSDs.
>
> That's because he's one of army of "clever" guys from RH and similar
> projects which are behaving like dictators and starting to not care
> even about other Linux distros, not even about something "out of
> scope" like BSDs or any other OS project out there.
>
> Much more interesting debate (including INTERESTING links) started
> here http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=135220552521529&w=2

Interesting discussion and I think I can agree with the sentiments there,
but my interest in David's post is that he did care at all and did in
a way that's hard to understand coming from an open source developer.
It's much easier to understand comments for new OpenBSD releases
like "10 years after Linux OpenBSD kernel gains X". This "why does he
spend his time optimizing dfly" looks like a joke but I think he means it.