Unified BSD?

steven at stevenrosenberg.net steven at stevenrosenberg.net
Fri Nov 16 09:55:25 PST 2012

On 2012-11-16 10:14, Mandacarú Cascavel wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:48:51 +0100
> Tomas Bodzar <tomas.bodzar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Hub- FreeBSD <freebsd at hub.org>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Actually, according to what we are tracking at
>> http://bsdstats.org, there are currently *8*:
>> >
>> > PC-BSD
>> > FreeBSD
>> > PYC-BSD (aka Rus-BSD)
>> > DesktopBSD
>> > OpenBSD
>> > NetBSD
>> > DragonflyBSD
>> > MidnightBSD
>> >

>> Tracking something like DesktopBSD which doesn't exist for quite a
>> long time make statistics not much useful. MidnightBSD seems to be
>> same case as last activy on mailing list last year in May, forums
>> doesn't working at all so we are still on 4 core BSDs
>> (Open/Net/Free/Dfly).

I agree with this. One thing to remember is that the BSDs share a whole
lot of code. Drivers usually start in one BSD and migrate to the others.
DragonFly uses NetBSD packages, everybody uses OpenBSD's PF, and I
expect HAMMER to make its way into another BSD at some point. The BSD
community is more united than you might think.