binary packages for 2012Q1

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Wed May 2 19:02:18 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Pierre Abbat <phma at phma.optus.nu> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 01, 2012 21:06:14 Justin Sherrill wrote:
>> Are you asking about doing a full bulk build of all the packages, or
>> adding/upgrading packages on your system?
>
> Both. I'd like to upgrade the packages on my system, but I don't want a long
> time when the packages installed are partly old and partly new because it's
> still compiling them.

My preferred method, when binary packages aren't available, is to
update /usr/pkgsrc to the appropriate release and then use
pkg_rolling-replace to upgrade the packages I use.  It'll take a
little bit to build programs, but the amount of actual downtime will
be minimal.  You can say, "upgrade everything" using that, though it's
more manageable if you tackle it major app by major app, in my
opinion.  You certainly have enough space to update.