Xen/VM?

Martin Kelly martin.kelly90000 at gmx.com
Thu May 10 18:47:15 PDT 2012

--========GMXBoundary157171336700835439249

Honestly Alexey, i think if you want to give the HAMMER filesystem a go, you would be better off to test it out on physical hardware than on a xen hypervisor or through a virtual machine.

 Unless the operating system is built purely for VM use like Solaris, you won't ever really see the OS running at its full potential. Even Windows which states there system can run in a VM with out a big decrease in performance, has massive performance drops when you actually run VM compared to running it on a physical system.

 You'll find most OS's will... As i said the only OS i have ever come across which actually has an increase in performance is Oracle Solaris 11/11g (through benchmarking). I am not advocating you try Solaris just because it is good in a VM. Far from it actually... i am simply making my point using it as the exception to the current rule.

 If i was to advocate any system it would be DragonflyBSD or NetBSD, but i would highly reccommend you run them on physical hardware. The HAMMER filesystem is quite amazing and wouldn't be surprised if some of the other BSD's (NetBSD & OpenBSD mainly) eventually adopt it when it becomes more mature.

 Martin
 Not sure if this is the right list to ask this in. But is there any work on a Xen host for Dragonfly? I would love to try it out on EC2, and HAMMER on EBS should be pretty sweet.

 Thanks!
 -Alexey

Martin Kelly

--========GMXBoundary157171336700835439249

 Alexey, i think if you want to give the HAMMER filesystem a go, you would =
be better off to test it out on physical hardware than on a xen hypervisor =
or through a virtual machine.<br />=20
Unless the operating system is built purely for VM use like Solaris, you wo=
n't ever really see the OS running at its full potential. Even Windows whic=
h states there system can run in a VM with out a big decrease in performanc=
e, has massive performance drops when you actually run VM compared to runni=
ng it on a physical system.<br />=20
You'll find most OS's will... As i said the only OS i have ever come across=
 which actually has an increase in performance is Oracle Solaris 11/11g (th=
rough benchmarking). I am not advocating you try Solaris just because it is=
 good in a VM. Far from it actually... i am simply making my point using it=
 as the exception to the current rule.<br />=20
If i was to advocate any system it would be DragonflyBSD or NetBSD, but i w=
ould highly reccommend you run them on physical hardware. The HAMMER filesy=
stem is quite amazing and wouldn't be surprised if some of the other BSD's =
(NetBSD & OpenBSD mainly) eventually adopt it when it becomes more matu=
re.<br />=20
Martin<br />=20
	=C2=A0</p>=20
-left: 5px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px;" type=
=3D"cite">=20
			Hi Everyone,<br />=20
			  Not sure if this is the right list to ask this in.  But is t=
here any work on a Xen host for Dragonfly?  I would love to try it out=
 on EC2, and HAMMER on EBS should be pretty sweet.<br />=20
			Thanks!<br />=20
			-Alexey</p>=20
	=C2=A0</p>=20