Graphics Setup Help!

Martin Kelly martin.kelly90000 at gmx.com
Mon May 7 18:08:47 PDT 2012

--========GMXBoundary157191336439328220190

Hey,
 I am kinda crap at setting up my display for xorg.

 Current i am running it through a VGA output on the motherboard, as this is the only way i can start the GUI. This is a pain when multi-booting and i need to use DragonflyBSD while the other OS are running through the Nvidia GTX 570 DVI output. It ultimately means i have to a) access the BIOS and set the PCI lane the GPU is on to compliance mode or b) if that doesn't work (which it doesn't always) pull out the GPU in my case.

 I have 2 monitors and ideally would just like to utilise both under the DVI/ HDMI output on my GPU, to remove the annoyance of pull apart my case each time to boot DragonflyBSD. I don't need the accelerated graphics, its a nice accessory but not required.

 For information sake, i have read quite few different posts over the different BSD distributions regarding the Nvidia Driver. It comes to my attention that throughout all these posts they only refer to the proprietry driver and how the reason that OpenBSD, NetBSD and you guys DragonflyBSD haven't accquired the proprietry Nvidia Driver is because the driver is not released has source but as a binary making it impossible to port without reverse engineering.

 However (a big one), as i am a Linux user as well i would like to point out to you that Linux has two different Nvidia Drivers, the proprietry one we all know and love (sarcastically) and an open-source version. The 100% open-source driver is reverse-engineered from the proprietry Nvidia Driver and called Nouveau. Source file name: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

 This is not the "nv" driver, but the later model equivalent (i.e. Supports up to and including the GTX600 series) with support for 2D and 3D acceleration.

Martin Kelly

--========GMXBoundary157191336439328220190

/>=20
I am kinda crap at setting up my display for xorg.<br />=20
Current i am running it through a VGA output on the motherboard, as this is=
 the only way i can start the GUI. This is a pain when multi-booting and i =
need to use DragonflyBSD while the other OS are running through the Nvidia =
GTX 570 DVI output. It ultimately means i have to a) access the BIOS and se=
t the PCI lane the GPU is on to compliance mode or b) if that doesn't work =
(which it doesn't always) pull out the GPU in my case.<br />=20
I have 2 monitors and ideally would just like to utilise both under the DVI=
/ HDMI output on my GPU, to remove the annoyance of pull apart my case each=
 time to boot DragonflyBSD. I don't need the accelerated graphics, its a ni=
ce accessory but not required.<br />=20
For information sake, i have read quite few different posts over the differ=
ent BSD distributions regarding the Nvidia Driver. It comes to my attention=
 that throughout all these posts they only refer to the proprietry driver a=
nd how the reason that OpenBSD, NetBSD and you guys DragonflyBSD haven't ac=
cquired the proprietry Nvidia Driver is because the driver is not released =
has source but as a binary making it impossible to port without reverse eng=
ineering.<br />=20
However (a big one), as i am a Linux user as well i would like to point out=
 to you that Linux has two different Nvidia Drivers, the proprietry one we =
all know and love (sarcastically) and an open-source version. The 100% open=
-source driver is reverse-engineered from the proprietry Nvidia Driver and =
called Nouveau. Source file name: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau<br />=20
This is not the "nv" driver, but the later model equivalent (i.e. Supports =
up to and including the GTX600 series) with support for 2D and 3D accelerat=
ion.<br />=20