Cosmetics

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:27:24 PDT 2012

On 25/03/2012, Robert Gauthier <321.robert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Under any load although the CPU fan revs up,
>
>  > sysctl -a | grep fan0
> hw.sensors.it3.fan0: 51 RPM
>  > dmesg | grep it3
> it3 at port 0x228-0x22f on isa0
>
> With OpenBSD
> $ sysctl | grep fan0
> hw.sensors.it0.fan0=2311 RPM
> $ dmesg | grep it0
> it0 at isa0 port 0x2e/2: IT8720F rev 8, EC port 0x228
>
> Sensors seem to be identified wrongly in dragonfly for this machine.
> I tried replacing openbsd's adress range for it0 and commenting out it3.
> No go.
>
> Anyone could help me dig further into this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert.

The address range part is identical -- both OpenBSD and DragonFly
above are reading sensors from the 0x228-0x22f space.

It seems like the latest it(4) from OpenBSD uses raw 16-bit readings
for fans on newer ITE chips, instead of the legacy lm-style 8-bit
reading with an extra fan divisor logic from register 0x0b.

ITE no longer publishes any datasheets on their web-site since a
couple of years ago (what they claim are datasheets on their web-site
are simply tiny 16-page documents with pages "intentionally left
blank"), but it seems like their newer chips may have repurposed the
"0Bh" register away from being "Fan Tachnometer Divisor Register", so
no wonder it doesn't seem to work.

If it's an Asus board, you might try aibs(4), it usually works
much-much better than it(4).  Else, happy hacking! ;-)

C.